Dentists, students recognized for advocacy
April 10, 2018
Honored: Dr. Gerald Bird presents Dr. Bruce Hutchison with the Jack Wilson Award during the ADA Dentist and Student Lobby Day.
— The American Dental Political Action Committee presented grassroots advocacy awards April 10 during the ADA Dentist and Student Lobby Day.
Dr. Bruce Hutchison received the Jack Wilson award, named for the founder of ADPAC.
"He gives his time and his treasures relentlessly to advance our profession," said Dr. Gerald Bird, ADPAC chair, in presenting the award to Dr. Hutchison of Centreville, Virginia.
"I love being a dentist," Dr. Hutchison said. "I know all of you do too — I'm not saying anything new. But I love this profession so much I want to make sure all the students have every opportunity I had, and maybe even more."
This year's annual award breakfast included opening remarks from Reps. Mike Gallagher, R-Wis., and Jared Huffman, D-Calif., who both commended the Association for its efforts in combatting the opioid epidemic.
"We all have a duty to come together and fight," Rep. Gallagher said.
Winner: Second-year dental student Kate McPherson receives ASDA's National Liaison of the Year award from Jonathan Vogel.
Added Rep. Huffman, "I'm looking forward to working with you on that [issue]."
Other ADPAC membership awards included:
- Single state district with highest participation: Illinois.
- Multistate district with highest participation: District 16: Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
- Single state district with highest total receipts: New York.
- Multistate district with highest total receipts: District 16: Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
The American Student Dental Association named Kate McPherson, a second-year dental student at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry, its National Liaison of the Year recipient.
ASDA's regional legislative award winners were:
- Districts 1, 2, 3: Jessica Begley, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, Class of 2020.
- Districts 6, 7: Miranda Brown, Marquette University School of Dentistry, 2019.
- Districts 8, 9: Ryan Mickle, University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine, 2019.
- Districts 10, 11: Michael Nguyen, University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry, 2020.