Load up on fluoride continuing education before annual meeting officially begins
February 14, 2018
Honolulu — ADA 2018 – America's Dental Meeting's pre-session includes a course involving silver diamine fluoride that kickstarts a series of continuing education courses that underscore the importance of fluoride.
New Advances in Caries Management: CRA, SDF and GIC (4207) is offered on Oct. 17 and will be repeated twice during the official meeting — Oct. 18 from 7-10 a.m. (5208) and 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (5217) It is also a cornerstone for a series of courses that include information about fluoride.
The series of courses that include information on fluoride features:
- Fact or Myth? Fluoridation According to the Internet (6804), Oct. 19, 1-2 p.m., Jane McGinley and Sharon Clough.
- Preventing Caries in the Pregnant Woman and Her Child (7800), Oct. 20, 7-8:30 a.m., Alice Horowitz, Ph.D., Dr. Jeanette Courtad, Ms. Clough.
- Patient Communication in a Digital World: From A to E-Patient (7801), Oct. 20, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Dr. Brittany Seymour, Ms. McGinley, Leslee Williams.
Ms. McGinley, manager of fluoridation and preventive health activities for the ADA Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention, said dentists get many questions from their patients about fluoridation. "We want to make sure the dentists are up on the facts," she said. "Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean that it's true."
Correct fluoridation information is crucial at the meeting because Hawaii, she noted, is one of the three least fluoridated states in the nation.
The fluoridation courses are not the only pre-session courses. Dr. Louis Malcmacher's Botox course is a returning pre-session favorite, worth seven hours of CE, but new pre-session courses this year are offerings featuring laser dentistry, treating orofacial pain, anterior composite artistry, restorations and socket grafts. The complete list is:
- Myths, Hype and Misconceptions About Laser Dentistry (4206), 7 a.m.-2 p.m. Dr. Robert Convissar.
- Orofacial Pain 101: The Basics and Beyond (4100), 7 a.m.-3 p.m., Dr. Seena Patel.
- Botox Therapy for Every Dental Practice (4205), 7 a.m.-3 p.m., Dr. Louis Malcmacher.
- Anterior Composite Artistry Works (4203), 2-5 p.m., Dr. Lee Ann Brady.
- New Advances in Caries Management: CRA, SDF and GIC (4207), 2-5 p.m. Dr. Douglas Young. CRA is caries risk assessment, SDF is silver diamine fluoride and GIC is glass-ionomer cement.
- Innovative Solutions to Complex Cosmetic Restorative Problems (4208), 2-5 p.m., Dr. Wynn Okuda.
- The Simple Socket Graft and PRF Hands-on Workshop (4204), 2-5 p.m., Dr. Bobby Birdi. PRF is platelet-rich fibrin.
Registration for ADA 2018 is open and until Feb. 28, registration fees are discounted to $99 for member dentists. Rates increase March 1.
To register or learn more, visit ADA.org/meeting.