ADA publications excel in awards from association publishing trade group
June 27, 2018
Washington — A multitude of ADA publications earned 17 EXCEL Awards from a trade group for association publishing.
Association Media & Publishing announced the EXCEL Awards June 25 during the 38th Annual EXCEL Awards Gala in Washington, D.C. The EXCEL Awards recognize excellence and leadership in nonprofit association media, publishing, marketing and communications.
The winners were selected from 841 entries from across the association publishing industry.
“Last year we were privileged to have earned 8 EXCEL awards, and this year our publications and products more than doubled that tally,” said Michael D. Springer, senior vice president of business and publishing. “It is a testament to the quality and breadth we provide to our members, as well as to the talent and effort of our editorial and design teams.”
"We are privileged to recognize outstanding work in the association media and publishing industry this year,” said Michael Marchesano, Association Media & Publishing executive director, in a news release. “The EXCEL Awards showcase and spotlight first-class association content that’s both innovative and enlightening in a rapidly changing world.
The ADA News won both a gold and bronze award for editorial excellence for newspapers for a series of stories in a single issue. The Aug. 7, 2017, and Aug. 21, 2017, issues were recognized.
The Aug. 21 issue of the ADA News featured the stories, “Kansas Dentist Helps with Neanderthal Toothaches,” by David Burger, ADA senior editor; “ADA Lauds President Trump’s Statement on Opioid Abuse as National Emergency,” by Mr. Burger; and “‘You Can Imagine the Pride I Felt’: Colorado Dentist Becomes State Association President 22 Years After Her Father Served in the Same Role,” by Michelle Manchir, ADA senior editor. The Aug. 7 issue featured the stories “Dentists Can Help Fight Against Tick-Borne Diseases,” by Mr. Burger; “ADA to FDA: Expand Opioids Efforts to Include Managing Dental Pain,” by Jennifer Garvin, ADA Washington editor; and “New Dentists at Delegates Meeting: ‘Time for Our Generation to Lead,’” by Kimber Solana, ADA senior editor.
Dental Practice Success, a quarterly digital magazine designed to help dentists focus on the business side of their practices, won a gold award for design excellence in digital for the spring, summer and fall issues. It also won a bronze award for general excellence in digital publishing for its winter, spring and summer 2017 issues. Dental Practice Success is designed by Geralyn Novotny, layout and design coordinator for ADA Publishing, and edited by Stacie Crozier, editorial director of digital content.
The ADA Catalog team earned three awards for promotional content: a gold award for their folding smartphone stand, a silver award for the Building and Refreshing Your Dental Practice mailer, and another silver for the ADA Catalog 2018 Preview. The ADA Catalog is the dental profession's premier sourcebook for products including the CDT 2018: Dental Procedure Codes manual, HIPAA and OSHA kits, patient education materials, practice management books and staff training videos. The ADA Catalog is published twice annually, in September and January.
The 11th edition of The Chairside Instructor manual won two gold awards, in the categories technical book and eBook.
Three products swept the educational brochure category with gold, silver and bronze awards.
The print edition of the onsite convention program for ADA 2017 – America’s Dental Meeting also won a gold award.
The complete list of ADA winners are:
- Books: technical book — The Chairside Instructor, 11th edition: gold.
- Books: electronic book — The Chairside Instructor, 11th edition eBook: gold.
- Digital media: blog single post — New Dentist Now: silver.
- Journal cover design — JADA, September 2017 issue: silver. Anna Abbinante designed the cover.
- Newspaper: editorial excellence — ADA News, August 7, 2017, issue: gold.
- Newspaper: editorial excellence — ADA News, August 21, 2017, issue: bronze.
- Newsletters: general excellence (digital) — Dental Practice Success, winter, spring and summer 2017 issues: bronze.
- Newsletters: general excellence (digital) — JADA+ Scan – Osseointegration: bronze.
- Newsletters: design excellence (digital) — Dental Practice Success, spring, summer and fall issues: gold.
- Promotional content: advertisement single piece — ADA Catalog folding smartphone stand: gold.
- Brochure (educational) — Why Baby Teeth are Important: A Healthy Start is Smart: gold.
- Brochure (educational) — Tooth Erosion: The Harmful Effects of Acid: silver.
- Brochure (educational) — Periodontal Disease: Don’t Wait Until it Hurts: bronze.
- Directory, buyers guide, or catalog (print) — ADA Catalog 2018 Preview: silver.
- Direct mail, single piece — Building or Refreshing Your Dental Practice mailer: silver.
- Onsite convention daily (print) — ADA News Convention Daily 2017: bronze.
- Onsite convention program (Print) — Onsite Guide/ADA 2017 America’s Dental Meeting: gold.
To access Dental Practice Success, visit Success.ADA.org and search for "Dental Practice Success." To read the ADA News, visit ADA.org/adanews. To browse the ADA Catalog, visit ADAcatalog.org. The New Dentist Now blog is available at newdentistblog.ada.org.
For more winners and information on the EXCEL Awards, visit https://www.siia.net/amp/Events-Awards/EXCEL-Awards.