Nominations sought for ADA 10 Under 10 Awards
October 01, 2020
The American Dental Association is seeking nominations through Dec. 31 to recognize 10 new dentists who are demonstrating excellence in their work and inspiring others.
Winners of the annual ADA 10 Under 10 Awards
will receive a $1,000 gift card and be recognized in various ADA publications and channels, including the ADA News and the New Dentist Now blog. The ADA New Dentist Committee will choose and announce the winners in early 2021.
“I believe it is important to recognize the outstanding work that our new dentist members are doing around the country because that recognition makes it clear that you don't need 20 or 30 years in practice to become a rock star dentist,” said Dr. Ben Youel, member of New Dentist Committee.
“The stories of these new dentists are inspiring,” he added. “The leadership they demonstrate, the research they advance, the service they provide their community and the flare they take to all of these ventures is worth admiring and emulating. My hope is that the 10 Under 10 winners motivate every ADA member to up their game.”
Last year, the ADA New Dentist Committee received more than 80 submitted nominations recognizing new dentists for their work in passing state legislation that expand the use of teledentistry and efforts to ensure vulnerable patients, such as the elderly and individuals with special needs, receive dental care.
Nominations are sought of new dentists who are making a difference in:
• Science/research/education: A dentist who has made substantial contributions to advancing clinical topics by leading, organizing or participating in clinical research or scientifically focused efforts or who significantly impacts students through education and mentorship.
• Practice excellence: A dentist who doesn’t settle for the status quo and has implemented an innovative or more effective way to improve patients’ experience, market or grow their practice or manage their dental team. Their practice methods serve as an inspiration to other dentists.
• Philanthropy: A dentist who has made a difference in the lives of others (in dentistry or otherwise), either by volunteering, leading a philanthropic effort or using their skills to help those in need.
• Leadership: A dentist who serves in leadership, either within or outside dentistry, and has used that position to improve a dental association, another organization or their community at large.
• Advocacy: A dentist who takes a leadership role in advocacy initiatives or legislative activity on behalf of dentists and oral health initiatives.
“Reading the nominations for the 10 Under 10 Awards leaves me with feelings of inadequacy and awe,” said Dr. Youel. “It is phenomenal what these new dentists are accomplishing so early in their careers. And most do it all while growing both their practices and their families.”
Nominees have to be active ADA members who graduated from a Commission on Dental Accreditation-accredited dental school between the years 2011 and 2020. Self-nominations are not permitted.
For more information or to nominate a new dentist, visit ADA.org/10under10