Oral Healthcare Quality Reports
National Oral Healthcare Quality: State Profiles
State-level infographic reports that present an overview of oral healthcare quality using DQA quality measures are available for download. These reports reflect analysis of Transformed-Medicaid Statistical Information (T-MSIS) Analytic Files (TAF) from the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS) by Key Analytics and Consulting. Contact email@example.com for questions or additional data.
Released September 2021
Released July 2021
Notes regarding interpretation of state profiles:
1. National sample values are based on analyses of the preceding 29 states and will be updated as additional states are included.
2. Arrows in the overview table in each profile denote a measure score change (increase or decrease) of at least 0.5% relative to prior year or >±3 caries-related ED visits per 100,000 member months.
3. Some states have measure scores for some years that are not reportable (N/R) due to significant missing data in critical data fields that are needed to calculate the measure.
These states were prioritized based on data quality and completeness. The DQA is planning additional releases with more state profiles later in 2021 - stay tuned to this page for ongoing updates!
These Oral Healthcare Quality State Profile reports are part of a research project titled "The State of Oral Healthcare Use, Quality and Spending: Findings from Medicaid and CHIP Programs," made possible through Data Use Agreement (DUA) RSCH-2020-55639 with the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services. The data in the infographics reflect the completeness and quality of data contained within T-MSIS TAFs. For more information on each state’s data quality, please visit the Data Quality Atlas.
Herndon J, Ojha D, Layman S, Colangelo E, Aravamudhan K. Oral Healthcare Quality Reports. Dental Quality Alliance State Profiles. American Dental Association in partnership with Key Analytics and Consulting. September 2021. Available from: https://www.ada.org/en/science-research/dental-quality-alliance/dqa-publications
- Hunt, R.J. (2021). The DQA and Quality Measurement in Dental Programs and Plans. Journal of the Michigan Dental Association 103(7):46-52.
- Herndon, J.B., Amundson, C.W., Ojha, D., Koday, M. (2020) Advancing value in oral health through meaningful measurement. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, https://doi.org/10.1111/jphd.12395
- Aravamudhan, K., Glick, M., Crall, J. (2017). Making the shift to population health. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 148(9), 627–629.
- Herndon, J., Crall, J., Carden, D., Catalanotto, F., Tomar, S., Aravamudhan, K., Light, J. & Shenkman, E. (2017). Measuring Quality: Caries-related Emergency Department Visits and Follow-up Among Children. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 10.1111/jphd.12206.
- Herndon, J., Aravamudhan, K., Stephenson, R., Brandon, R., Ruff, J., Catalanotto, F. & Huong, L. (2016). Using A Stakeholder-Engaged Approach To Develop and Validate Electronic Clinical Quality Measures. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Volume 24, Issue 3, 503-512.
- Vidone, L., Hunt, R., Ojha, D. (2016). An Emerging Era in Dentistry—Quality Measurement. Journal of the Massachusetts Dental Society, 65(3), 18-21. Reprinted with permission from the Massachusetts Dental Society, copyright 2016.
- Ojha, D. & Aravamudhan, K. (2016). Leading the Dental Quality Movement: A Dental Quality Alliance Perspective. CDA JOURNAL, VOL 44, Nº 4. Reprinted with permission from the California Dental Association, copyright April 2016.
- Herndon, J. B., Tomar, S. L., Catalanotto, F. A., Rudner, N., Huang, I. C., Aravamudhan, K., ... & Crall, J. J. (2015). Measuring quality of dental care: Caries prevention services for children. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 146(8), 581-591.
- Herndon, J. B., Crall, J. J., Aravamudhan, K., Catalanotto, F. A., Huang, I., Rudner, N., ... & Shenkman, E. A. (2015). Developing and testing pediatric oral healthcare quality measures. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 75(3), 191-201.
- Hunt, R. J., & Aravamudhan, K. (2014). The quality movement in oral health care: who will lead? Journal of the American Dental Association, (1939),145(5), 421.
DQA in ADA News