DQA Educational Resource Center
A NEW IHI OPEN SCHOOL COURSE: HOW TO IMPROVE WITH THE MODEL FOR IMPROVEMENT
DQA, in partnership with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), presents a unique course, the first of its kind for dental professionals that will provide you with tools to identify key areas for improvement, then drive toward meaningful change for you and your patients. Through a series of lessons, you’ll learn how to use the Model for Improvement: set an aim, select measures, develop ideas for changes, and test changes using Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycles. Continuing Education credits available upon completion of the course.
TO GET STARTED:
- Step 1: Go to www.ihi.org/dqa
- Step 2: Select the course (Q1: 102) and
- Step 3: Select lesson (Lesson 1): [DQA] An Overview of the Model for Improvement
- Step 4: Follow the registration prompt
The DQA would like to thank its Education Committee and the following individuals for their timely review and input to the course content:
- An Nguyen, DDS, MPH, Vice-President of Dental Services, Clinica Family Health; National Network Oral Health Access (NNOHA) Learning Collaborative Faculty
- Barbara Quinn, MSN, CNS, RN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Sutter Medical Center
- Dian Baker, PhD, APRN-BC, PNP, Professor, California State University
- Man Wai Ng, DDS, MPH, Dentist-in-Chief, Boston Children’s Hospital
- Lisa Nguyen, DDS; Ani Kartounian, DDS; Elena Budagyan, PA; Hashmat Guerra, Comprehensive Community Health Centers, Inc.
Risk Adjustment in Dental Measures
The Dental Quality Alliance (DQA) has developed a resource document titled "Quality Measurement in Dentistry: A Guidebook" to serve as a tool to educate various audiences on the basic purpose, importance and scope of quality measurement within dentistry. This document is updated every three years.
DQA Recent Publications
Aravamudhan, K., Glick, M., Crall, J. (2017). Making the shift to population health. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 148(9), 627–629.
Hunt, R. & Ojha, D. (2017). Oral Health Care Quality Measurement and Its Role in Dental Education.
Journal of Dental Education, 2017; 81:1395-1404 doi:10.21815/JDE.017.099.
Herndon, J., Crall, J., Carden, D., Catalanotto, F., Tomar, S., Aravamudhan, K., Light, J. & Shenkman, E. (2017). Measuring Quality: Caries-related Emergency Department Visits and Follow-up Among Children. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 10.1111/jphd.12206.
Herndon, J., Aravamudhan, K., Stephenson, R., Brandon, R., Ruff, J., Catalanotto, F. & Huong, L. (2016). Using A Stakeholder-Engaged Approach To Develop and Validate Electronic Clinical Quality Measures. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Volume 24, Issue 3, 503-512.
Vidone, L., Hunt, R., Ojha, D. (2016). An Emerging Era in Dentistry—Quality Measurement. Journal of the Massachusetts Dental Society, 65(3), 18-21. Reprinted with permission from the Massachusetts Dental Society, copyright 2016.
Ojha, D. & Aravamudhan, K. (2016). Leading the Dental Quality Movement: A Dental Quality Alliance Perspective. CDA JOURNAL, VOL 44, Nº 4. Reprinted with permission from the California Dental Association, copyright April 2016.
Herndon, J. B., Tomar, S. L., Catalanotto, F. A., Rudner, N., Huang, I. C., Aravamudhan, K., ... & Crall, J. J. (2015). Measuring quality of dental care: Caries prevention services for children. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 146(8), 581-591.
Herndon, J. B., Crall, J. J., Aravamudhan, K., Catalanotto, F. A., Huang, I., Rudner, N., ... & Shenkman, E. A. (2015). Developing and testing pediatric oral healthcare quality measures. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 75(3), 191-201.
Hunt, R. J., & Aravamudhan, K. (2014). The quality movement in oral health care: who will lead? Journal of the American Dental Association, (1939),145(5), 421.
The Dental Quality Alliance has produced its first series of video tutorials, titled "Introduction to Quality Measurements." The series contains five tutorials:
- About the DQA (2:16) This tutorial explains when and why the Dental Quality Alliance was formed, and how it has benefited the field of dentistry.
- What is Quality (3:28) This tutorial defines the term “quality” as it relates to healthcare. Included in the tutorial is an example for measuring quality of oral healthcare.
- How is Performance Measured in Dentistry (3:52) This tutorial defines the term “performance” as it relates to dentistry. The tutorial explains the different levels of assessment and data sources for measurement in dentistry.
- What is a Measure (3:07) This tutorial explains the different components of a measure including numerators, denominators and exclusions.
- Process for Starter Set (3:16) This tutorial explains the process the DQA used to develop the Starter Set.