ADA updating HIPAA manual
Regulators expect compliance by Sept. 23
Most covered entity dental practices will need to review and revise their HIPAA compliance policies, procedures and documents such as Notice of Privacy Practices and Business Associate Agreements to comply by Sept. 23 with regulations effective March 26, the Association told subscribers to the ADA Practical Guide to HIPAA Compliance Privacy and Security Kit.
HIPAA-covered entities, including covered dental practices, will have an additional 180 days from the March 26, 2013 effective date to comply with applicable requirements of the omnibus final rule issued by the Department of Health and Human Services.
The Jan. 17, 2013 final rule from the HHS Office for Civil Rights includes changes to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 that were required by the HITECH Act of 2009 and the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008.
The Association "Dear Doctor" letter to HIPAA manual subscribers discusses:
• an overview of the omnibus final rule;
• the 2012 launch of the Office for Civil Rights HITECH pilot audit program, which included at least one dental practice;
• OCR release of a publication providing guidance for the de-identification of protected health information http://www.ada.org/news/8003.aspx;
• an OCR message to health care providers http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/office/lettertonationhcp.pdf regarding disclosure of information about patients who present a serious danger to themselves or other people;
• breaches reported under the HIPAA breach notification rule, and
• a free online security training game released by the HHS Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
"We will send you a more comprehensive update to The ADA Practical Guide to HIPAA Compliance Privacy and Security Kit later this year," the Association told subscribers to the HIPAA manual. The more detailed update, expected this spring, will be offered free of charge to subscribers.
The HIPAA update letter cites nine examples of "major provisions" in the final rule and several examples of requirements expected in future rulemaking.
"HIPAA requirements have changed," says the catalog description for The ADA Practical Guide to HIPAA Compliance Privacy and Security Kit Product Code J594. "The ADA has updated and combined its best-selling HIPAA Privacy and Security Manuals. It includes up-to-date information on HIPAA Privacy and Security regulations, including HITECH Act requirements for encryption, breach notification, business associate agreements, disclosure and use of Protected Health Information, increased compliance enforcement by the Office for Civil Rights, and significantly higher fines for non-compliance.
"This straightforward guide, developed especially for dentists, provides a step-by-step plan to help you prepare and implement a compliance program for your dental practice. The Privacy and Security Kit includes new sample forms, sample policies and procedures, checklists, sample risk assessment questions, workforce training guidance and a three-year subscription to the annual HIPAA Compliance Update Service. 8 hours of CE credits."
Orders may be placed at http://www.adacatalog.org or by calling 1-800-947-4746.