Although opioid pain medications are no longer considered first line treatment for acute dental pain in the United States, patients and dental providers may still have expectations surrounding their use. In this on-demand webinar, recorded July 17, 2019, we explore the state of the opioid overdose crisis in the U.S., evidence-based recommendations for prescribing opioids and how motivational interviewing can be used to educate patients, align expectations, and steer encounters towards best practices in order to provide safe and effective care.
Following this presentation, viewers will be able to:
- Describe the current status of the opioid crisis in the United States.
- Outline evidence-based recommendations for prescribing opioids and other treatments for pain.
- Discuss the basic principles of motivational interviewing in the patient encounter.
- Apply motivational interviewing principles to dental practice.
- Understand situations that may arise in patient encounters related to pain in dental practice through case examples.
Please note: A Certificate of Completion can be claimed by participants of this archived webinar, available through our partnership with the Providers Clinical Support System pcssNOW.org.please go to the event page on