New Dentist Committee
New Dentist Committee and the New Dentist Committee Network
Who/What Are They?
They are new dentists with the issues and concerns of new dentists in mind. A "new dentist" is anyone who has been out of dental school less than ten years.
Comprising 17 members representing each of the ADA's regional districts, the New Dentist Committee ("The Committee") is a national committee of the ADA Board of Trustees, with the following mission statement:
The Mission of the ADA New Dentist Committee is to serve as the voice of the new dentist within the American Dental Association, representing new dentists’ views to the ADA Board of Trustees and other agencies; to monitor and anticipate new dentist needs and advocate for the development of member benefits, services, and resources to facilitate professional and practice success; and to foster the next generation of leadership within organized dentistry by building community and facilitating new dentist leadership development at all three levels of the tripartite.
The Committee meets twice each year. From those meetings, the Committee provides recommendations on policies and programs that meet the needs of new dentists.
The Committee also hosts the ADA New Dentist Conference every summer. The conference is an exciting opportunity for new dentists and dental students to gather for three days of educational programming, including one day of leadership training, personal networking, and fun. It has been called the "most motivational dental meeting of the year" for new dentists by conference attendees. The conference is open to all dentists.
The Committee works through the New Dentist Committee Network to assist the new dentist in making the transition to active membership in organized dentistry. The Network currently consists of 42 state and 73 local committees working for new dentists. This network provides a vital communication resource between the ADA and new dentists, as well as a forum for new dentists to discuss their issues and concerns.
Activities of the Committee and Committee Network
- The Committee with the help of the host state and local new dentist committees, annually presents the ADA New Dentist Conference in cities across the country.
- Committee members actively participate in the Success Dental Student Programs conducted in dental schools around the country. The Success Programs are designed to assist dental school seniors with making the transition from student members to full active members of organized dentistry.
- The Committee conducts workshops to assist new dentist committees in becoming established and ensuring their continued effectiveness.
- The network provides a personal touch for ADA's recruitment campaigns targeted toward new dentists and dental students. Members of the network personally contact students and new dentists who are new to their communities.
- State new dentist committees are developing their state-specific version of the Roadmap to Starting a Successful Dental Practice, to assist dentists who are new to their state with setting up their practice.
- Committee members provide to other ADA agencies valuable insight on the issues and needs of new dentists. Each year Committee members serve as ex officio (non-voting) members of eleven ADA councils and commissions.
To get involved or for more information, call your state or local dental society, or call the ADA New Dentist Committee central office at the ADA member toll-free number, ext. 2779, or 312.440.2779.
New Dentist Committee Roster 2013–2014
District 3 Representative (PA)
Brian M. Schwab, D.M.D.
81 Lake Road
Fleetwood, PA 19522-9001
District 12 Representative (AR, KS, LA, OK)
Michael A. LeBlanc, D.D.S.
6850 Hilltop Road, Suite 160
Shawnee, KS 66226-3562
District 1 Representative (CT, ME, MA, NJ, RI, VT)
Timothy W. Oh, D.M.D.
70 Kingsland Crossing, Suite A
Ellsworth, ME 04605-2570
District 2 Representative (NY)
Kendra Zappia, D.D.S.
3 Pine West Plaza, Ste 316
Albany, NY 12205
District 4 Representative (DE, DC, MD, NJ, PR, VI)
Edgar Radjabli, D.D.S.
9 North Centre Street, Apt. 305
Cumberland, MD 21502-2580
District 5 Representative (AL, GA, MS)
Chris M. Hasty, D.D.S.
209 24th Street E
Tifton, Georgia 31794
District 6 Representative (KY, MO, TN, WV)
Rachel D. Hymes, D.M.D.
222 Oak Street
Mountain City, TN 37683
District 7 Representative (IN, OH)
Heather A. Maupin, D.D.S.
1070 West Main Street
Plainfield, IN 46168
District 8 Representative (IL)
Jill McMahon, D.M.D
7767 Lake St.
River Forest, IL 60305
District 9 Representative (MI, WI)
Eric T. Childs, D.D.S.
365 N. Willowbrook Rd. Ste #C
Coldwater, MI 49036
District 10 Representative (IA, MN, NE, ND, SD)
Ryan L. Ritchie, D.D.S.
20110 Nature Ave.
Hutchinson, MN 55350
District 11 Representative (AK, ID, MT, OR, WA)
Dan S. Bruce, D.D.S.
7878 W. Ustick Road, Suite 101
Boise, ID 83704-5006
District 13 Representative (CA)
Rex R. Yanase, D.D.S.
22330 Hawthorne Boulevard, Suite 316
Torrance, CA 90505-2590
District 14 Representative (AZ, CO, HI, NV, NM, UT, WY)
Emily Ishkanian, D.M.D
275 N. Pecos
Henderson, NV 89074
District 15 Representative (TX)
Andrea K. Janik, D.D.S.
333 Touchdown Drive
Irving, TX 75063
District 16 Representative (NC, SC, VA)
Justin Norbo, D.D.S.
441 E. Main St.
Purcellville, VA 20132
District 17 Representative (FL)
Irene Marron-Tarrazzi, D.D.S.
848 Brickell Avenue, Suite 940
Miami, FL 33131-3026
Board of Trustees Liaison
Terry L. Buckenheimer, D.M.D
3906 W. Neptune St.
Tampa, FL 33629
Tera Lavick, director
Christine Chico, manager
Deborah Jani, member project associate
General Contact Information
New Dentist Committee
211 East Chicago Avenue, 20th Floor
Chicago, IL 60611