- Regular Members are national dental associations recognized by FDI as the principal associations and significant representatives of the legal and certified dental profession in their own countries. (*The American Dental Association is the Regular Member for the United States.)
- Associate Members are national dental associations recognized by FDI as significant representatives of the legal and certified dental profession in their own countries. They have fulfilled the requirements of membership but, for reasons acceptable to FDI, do not wish to hold regular membership.
- Affiliate Members are not-for-profit international dental associations or organizations with missions in line with those of FDI.
- Supporting Members are not-for-profit international organizations and national organizations with an international role and objectives in or related to the field of dentistry.
International Collaborating OrganizationsHealth Volunteers Overseas (HVO): The ADA sponsors the dentistry programs of HVO. Learn more about the organization and how to get involved on the Humanitarian Programs page. The American Dental Society of Europe (ADSE) was founded on 4th July, 1873, in a hotel near the summit of Mount Rigi, close to the city of Lucerne in Switzerland. Members of the Society are all dentists who live and work in Europe and who have completed a full time course of study at a recognized dental school in the United States or Canada. Application for membership can be made following attendance of one annual Scientific Meeting.
Other International Organizations
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR) & American Association for Dental Research (AADR)
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), Office of International Health
- Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- World Health Organization (WHO)