Code Maintenance Committee (CMC)
CDBP established its Code Maintenance Committee to ensure that all stakeholders have an active role in evaluating and voting on CDT Code changes. It is the body that votes to accept, amend or decline requests. The CMC is expected to arrive at decisions that are in the best interests of the profession and patients, and third-party payers/administrators.
Code Maintenance Committee
CMC Meeting Reports
The summary report of decisions on all action requests submitted for consideration during the most recent annual CMC meeting is available for download by any member of the dental community, or the public at large. This report summarizes, in inventory number order, both Editorial Actions (corrections to grammatical and format errors in existing entries that do not affect purpose or scope) and Substantive Actions (requests for new codes, deletions of existing codes, and significant revisions to existing CDT Code entries).
March 2020 CMC Meeting Summary – Actions for CDT 2021
Detailed information about each action request listed in the Meeting Summary report is in the following files, whose content served as the CMC meeting’s agenda items. They are in PDF format that may be downloaded –
Please direct requests for additional information concerning this and prior meeting activity to the CMC Secretariat via email (email@example.com) or surface mail (American Dental Association, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611).
CMC Member Organizations
- Five representatives from the American Dental Association, one of whom will serve as chair
- One representative from each of the ten recognized dental specialty organizations
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Association of Endodontists
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- American College of Prosthodontics
- American Society of Dentist Anesthesiologists
- One representative from the Academy of General Dentistry
- One representative from each of the following third-party payer organizations
- America's Health Insurance Plans
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Delta Dental Plans Association
- National Association of Dental Plans
- One representative from the American Dental Education Association
Next CMC Meeting
The next annual CMC meeting is scheduled to convene at ADA Headquarters in Chicago on March 11-12, 2021 (Thursday-Friday). Proceedings begin on March 11th at 8:30 AM in the 2nd floor Auditorium. The meeting will formally adjourn when the CMC has addressed all agenda items, which may be accomplished in less than the two days set aside.
- This an open meeting that includes public comment and discussion of any CDT Code Action Request before the committee.
- The CMC meeting is when member organization representatives discuss and vote to accept, amend or decline each action request.
- This meeting will adjourn when all agenda items have been addressed, which may be accomplished in less than the two days scheduled.
- The “listen-only” connection information for non-members who are interested in the proceedings will be posted on this web page one-week before the scheduled meeting.
- A compendium of all action requests on the next CMC meeting’s agenda will be posted on this page by mid-December.
Telephone: ADA Members, please use the toll-free number on the back of your membership card; Direct dial, 312.440.2500.