DQA Educational Resources
Data Driven Quality Improvement Strategies
This webinar explores how quality measures are supported at the program level by data-driven quality improvement strategies.
Improving Outcomes via Quality Measures
This webinar explores how quality measures are being used at the plan and program levels to support improvement.
Why, What & How
This webinar explores the history, makeup and blueprints of quality measure domains.
Dental Practice Perspective
This webinar helps participants to recognize the importance of quality measurement and improvement as it relates to dental practice.
This webinar helps participants to recognize the importance of quality measurement and improvement as it relates to dental practice; understand the impact of quality measures on practitioners, payers and patients in the evolving healthcare landscape; appreciate the coherence of quality improvement and measurement within a dental practice; and identify clinical practice areas that may benefit from quality measurement and improvement.
This webinar explores the history, makeup and blueprints of quality measure domains and how they can be best used to drive quality improvement at the practice level. Viewers will explore why measurement matters in dentistry; understand what a measure is, the dynamics of how they work and the makeup of a successful measure; and learn how measurement drives quality improvement and how to put it to use.
This webinar explores how quality measures are being used at the plan and program levels to support improvement and outcomes. Viewers will explore the Delta Dental of Massachusetts Prevention Focused program implemented to improve oral health for adults and children, and also discover the key components of the Boston Children’s Hospital Early Childhood Caries Collaborative Project, implemented to reduce the incidence of early childhood caries.
This webinar explores how quality measures are supported at the program level by data-driven quality improvement strategies to improve patient outcomes. Viewers will discover the key components of providing personalized care with the implementation of caries risk assessment at Forward Dental and learn about the implementation strategy of the Marshfield Clinic Health System – Dental Quality Improvement Initiative.
This webinar explores what the data tell us when we starting thinking about putting measurement into action. Specifically, this installment in the webinar series highlights the first of its kind National Oral Healthcare Quality state profiles. These reports of oral healthcare quality in the Medicaid and CHIP programs represent a first step to understand where we are and where we need to go to improve oral health care and, ultimately, health outcomes.
The Dental Quality Alliance (DQA) has developed a resource document titled "Quality Measurement in Dentistry: A Guidebook" to serve as a tool to educate various audiences on the basic purpose, importance and scope of quality measurement within dentistry. This document is updated every three years.
- Quality Measurement in Dentistry: A Guidebook (2019) (PDF)
DQA, in partnership with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), presents a unique course, the first of its kind for dental professionals that will provide you with tools to identify key areas for improvement, then drive toward meaningful change for you and your patients. Through a series of lessons, you’ll learn how to use the Model for Improvement: set an aim, select measures, develop ideas for changes, and test changes using Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycles. Continuing Education credits available upon completion of the course.
TO GET STARTED:
- Step 1: Create a profile on IHI.org if you do not have one.
- Step 2: Go to education.ihi.org
- Step 3: Select “Browse Catalog” and
- Step 4: Search for “Dental Quality Alliance: Improving Dental Care with the Model for Improvement” in the search bar
- Step 5: Click the “Enroll” button next to the name of the course
- Step 6: On the next page, click the “Launch” button next to the course name and the course will appear on the next page
The DQA would like to thank its Education Committee and the following individuals for their timely review and input to the course content:
- An Nguyen, DDS, MPH, Vice-President of Dental Services, Clinica Family Health; National Network Oral Health Access (NNOHA) Learning Collaborative Faculty
- Barbara Quinn, MSN, CNS, RN, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Sutter Medical Center
- Dian Baker, PhD, APRN-BC, PNP, Professor, California State University
- Man Wai Ng, DDS, MPH, Dentist-in-Chief, Boston Children’s Hospital
- Lisa Nguyen, DDS; Ani Kartounian, DDS; Elena Budagyan, PA; Hashmat Guerra, Comprehensive Community Health Centers, Inc.
- Hunt, R.J. (2021). The DQA and Quality Measurement in Dental Programs and Plans. Journal of the Michigan Dental Association 103(7):46-52.
- Herndon, J.B., Amundson, C.W., Ojha, D., Koday, M. (2020) Advancing value in oral health through meaningful measurement. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, https://doi.org/10.1111/jphd.12395
- Aravamudhan, K., Glick, M., Crall, J. (2017). Making the shift to population health. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 148(9), 627–629.
- Herndon, J., Crall, J., Carden, D., Catalanotto, F., Tomar, S., Aravamudhan, K., Light, J. & Shenkman, E. (2017). Measuring Quality: Caries-related Emergency Department Visits and Follow-up Among Children. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 10.1111/jphd.12206.
- Herndon, J., Aravamudhan, K., Stephenson, R., Brandon, R., Ruff, J., Catalanotto, F. & Huong, L. (2016). Using A Stakeholder-Engaged Approach To Develop and Validate Electronic Clinical Quality Measures. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Volume 24, Issue 3, 503-512.
- Vidone, L., Hunt, R., Ojha, D. (2016). An Emerging Era in Dentistry—Quality Measurement. Journal of the Massachusetts Dental Society, 65(3), 18-21. Reprinted with permission from the Massachusetts Dental Society, copyright 2016.
- Ojha, D. & Aravamudhan, K. (2016). Leading the Dental Quality Movement: A Dental Quality Alliance Perspective. CDA JOURNAL, VOL 44, Nº 4. Reprinted with permission from the California Dental Association, copyright April 2016.
- Herndon, J. B., Tomar, S. L., Catalanotto, F. A., Rudner, N., Huang, I. C., Aravamudhan, K., ... & Crall, J. J. (2015). Measuring quality of dental care: Caries prevention services for children. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 146(8), 581-591.
- Herndon, J. B., Crall, J. J., Aravamudhan, K., Catalanotto, F. A., Huang, I., Rudner, N., ... & Shenkman, E. A. (2015). Developing and testing pediatric oral healthcare quality measures. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 75(3), 191-201.
- Hunt, R. J., & Aravamudhan, K. (2014). The quality movement in oral health care: who will lead? Journal of the American Dental Association, (1939),145(5), 421.
- July 29, 2021: Dental Quality Alliance publishes state profile overview of Medicaid, CHIP programs
- July 16, 2021: Comments sought on draft report addressing updates to CMS core sets of quality measures
- July 24, 2019: Dental Quality Alliance releases measures to address emergency room use, diabetes
- March 12, 2019: DQA brings together multi-stakeholder state teams to collaborate on improving care for Medicaid patients
- December 11, 2018: DQA approves guidance for practice-based, pediatric measures for quality improvement
- November 27, 2018: DQA to host Dec. 5 webinar on quality measurement