- The panel recommends the following for people at risk of developing dental caries: 2.26% fluoride varnish or 1.23% fluoride (acidulated phosphate fluoride) gel, or a prescription-strength, home-use 0.5% fluoride gel or paste or 0.09% fluoride mouthrinse for 6 years or older.
- Only 2.26% fluoride varnish is recommended for children younger than 6 years.
- As part of the evidence-based approach to care, these clinical recommendations should be integrated with the practitioner’s professional judgment and the patient’s needs and preferences.
Professionally-Applied and Prescription-Strength, Home-Use Topical Fluoride Agents for Caries Prevention Clinical Practice Guideline (2013)
A panel of experts convened by the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs presents an evidence-based clinical practice guideline and systematic review on professionally-applied and prescription-strength, home-use topical fluoride agents for caries prevention including mouthrinses, varnishes, gels, foams, and pastes.
- Clinical recommendations
- Chairside guide
- Oral Health Topics: Fluoride
- Professional Product Review (2017): "Fluoride Varnish and Silver Diamine Fluoride: Fluoride Release Analysis and Clinical Guidance" (ADA member login required)
- Professional Product Review (2015): "Fluoride Varnish: A Clinical Perspective on the ADA Laboratory Evaluation" (ADA member login required)
- Search JADA for research related to topical fluoride
- ADA Library resources
- Facebook Live Q&A on topical fluoride
- MouthHealthy: Fluoride
- "How Fluoride Works: The Superhero that Lives Inside Your Mouth"
- "A Mom's Guide to Fluoride"
- For the Patient (2009): "Fluoride: Nature's Tooth Decay Fighter"
- For the Patient (2007): "Fluoride Treatments in the Dental Office: Extra Protection for Your Teeth"
- Search the ADA Store for products related to topical fluoride, including the "Fluoride: Nature's Cavity Fighter" brochure