Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

International Dental Students

The United States and Canada have a reciprocal arrangement, where programs accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada are recognized by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (ADA).

Currently Attending Dental School Outside the United States

Students enrolled in a dental school listed in the World Directory of Dental Schools compiled by the FDI World Federation are eligible to join the American Student Dental Association (ASDA) and the ADA as an International Dental Student Member. Membership dues are $101 U.S. annually and cover both ASDA and ADA benefits.

To Apply: The Predoctoral International Application is available on For a list of ASDA Membership benefits, visit

After Graduation: Once you have graduated from the non-U.S. dental school and are in practice outside the U.S., you are eligible for ADA international membership.

Currently Practicing Outside the United States

Affiliate membership in the American Dental Association is available to dentists who are practicing in a country other than the United States who do not have an active U.S. dental license. Learn about international membership here.

Seeking to Practice in the United States

In the United States, licensure is conferred by individual state licensing boards. This means that the pathway to practicing dentistry in the United States is affected by both the place that you come from (the country and educational program where you were trained) as well as the place that you are going to (the state where you hope to become licensed to practice dentistry.)

Most states require graduates of dental schools outside the United States to complete additional training in the United States.

The ADA has collected a series of common questions asked by dentists who have received their dental education outside of the U.S. For information about Visas and tips on preparing for clinical examinations, consult the list here.

For additional information, including U.S. dental schools that offer advanced standing to internationally trained dentists, please consult this page.