ADA Health Policy Institute research found that more females graduated from dental school in 2021 than males. Among all advanced program enrollees, however, males slightly outnumbered females, 50.3% to 49.4%.
The differences vary significantly among advanced programs. For example, 72.9% of enrollees in oral & maxillofacial pathology were female while only 20.3% of enrollees in oral & maxillofacial surgery were female.
This infographic details enrollment splits for 14 advanced programs:
- Advanced Education in General Surgery
- Dental Anesthesiology
- Dental Public Health
- General Practice Residency
- Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Radiology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Medicine
- Orofacial Pain
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Pediatric Dentistry
Data are based on the 2021-22 Survey of Dental Education Report 1 – Academic Programs, Enrollment, and Graduates and the 2021-22 Survey of Advanced Dental Education.