Tell Congress to support the dental community in the next COVID-19 legislation.
TAKE ACTION NOW
Visit the ADA Coronavirus Center to learn what you can do to navigate the challenges of COVID-19.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Advocacy
The ADA is lobbying Congress and the administration to protect dental patients and staff who are providing urgent and emergency care during the COVID-19 pandemic. The ADA is also lobbying to help dental practices stay viable during (and following) prolonged periods of reduced hours or closure.
- Improving and adequately funding federal small business disaster aid programs.
- Exempting dental practices from onerous regulatory burdens.
- Extending tax relief to impacted dental practices.
- Providing adequate financial stability for displaced office staff.
- Alleviating the burden of student loan payments during the emergency period.
- Obtaining clinical guidelines to safely and effectively treat dental patients during the outbreak.
- Ensuring personal protective equipment is available when and where it is most needed.
- Expanding COVID-19 point-of-care testing across the country.
If you are a dentist, please visit ADA.org/virus for resources to navigate the uncertainties brought on by the COVID-19 outbreak, with answers to tough questions on topics including employment law and practice owners' obligations to employees, government assistance for businesses, and more.
- NEW May 21, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) Thanking Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) for his efforts on behalf of Dentistry during the COVID 19 Crisis.
- NEW May 21, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) Thanks Representative Nanette Diaz Barragán (D-CA 44) for her efforts on behalf of Dentistry during the COVID 19 Crisis.
- NEW May 19, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) to Congressional Leadership urging them to support enhancement of commercial business interruption insurance in response to the COVID 19 crisis.
- May 7, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) to chairs of the House Ways and Means Committee and Senate Finance Committee regarding IRS notice about PPP deductible expenses.
- May 1, 2020—Coalition Letter (PDF) to Congressional leadership requesting flexibility in the PPP program to allow dentists to purchase PPE for COVID reopening.
- April 29, 2020—Letter (PDF) to the Congressional leadership regarding the ADA’s recommendations on helping dental practices, dentists, their staff, and patients in the next COVID-related legislative package.
- April 28, 2020 - Coalition Letter to Congressional leadership urging them to take measures to increase healthcare coverage during the COVID 19 Pandemic.
- April 17, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging congressional leaders to adequately fund and make significant improvements to several Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan programs to help small businesses stay afloat during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- April 14, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Congressional Small Business Committees to provide relief to 501(c)(6) non-profits in future COVID 19 packages.
- April 13, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging congressional leaders to prioritize the scarcity of personal protective equipment (PPE) in future legislation to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- April 10, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging congressional leaders to adequately fund and make significant improvements to several Small Business Administration (SBA) disaster loan programs to help small businesses stay afloat during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- April 10, 2020—Letter (PDF) thanking Rep. Huizenga for sponsoring H.R. 6433, the Helping Emergency Responders Overcome Emergency Situations (HEROES) Act of 2020.
- March 18, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging congressional leaders and the president to consider several proposals in a third legislative package to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- March 18, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging Senate leaders to consider several proposals in the third legislative package to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- March 16, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging Senate leaders to consider several proposals in the third legislative package to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- NEW May 11, 2020—Letter (PDF) requesting that the Department of Homeland Security extend the grace period for dentists on H1B visas.
- May 6, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to quickly provide guidance on how best to protect dental patients and staff in parts of the country that are recovering from the COVID-19 outbreak.
- May 1, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) to Small Business Administration and Department of the Treasury requesting flexibility in the PPP program to allow dentists to buy PPE for COVID reopening.
- April 27, 2020—Letter (PDF) to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requesting that the COVID-19 Telehealth Program be extended to all dental practices, regardless of size, location, or for-profit status.
- April 22, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to authorize dentists to conduct point of care testing for COVID-19.
- April 17, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to provide immediate access to capital by releasing funding from the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund to dentists that are Medicaid providers.
- April 17, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to authorize dentists to conduct point of care testing for COVID-19.
- April 14, 2020—Letter (PDF) thanking the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for being flexible in enforcing certain federal environmental compliance obligations during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- April 3, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging the Treasury Department and the Small Business Administration (SBA) to issue clear guidance to help dentists applying for Paycheck Protection Program 7(a) loans and Economic Injury Disaster Loans.
- March 27, 2020—Public statement (PDF) supporting emergency efforts at the federal level to dramatically increase the production and distribution of personal protective equipment (PPE) and other necessary medical equipment and supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- March 24, 2020—Letter (PDF) urging the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to provide immediate guidance on how best to protect dental patients and staff from the transmission of COVID-19 during emergency and urgent care situations.
- March 18, 2020—Coalition letter (PDF) urging the Department of Labor to exempt small businesses from certain provisions in H.R. 6201, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.
Action Alerts and Updates
- May 5, 2020—Action Alert (PDF): Congress Plans Next COVID-19 Relief Legislation
- April 4, 2020—Action Alert (PDF): Urge SBA and Treasury to Clarify 7(a) Loan Rule
- March 21, 2020—Action Alert (PDF): Working to Keep Key Provisions in the Senate CARES Act
- April 17, 2020—Update (PDF): COVID-19 Testing in Dental Practices
- April 6, 2020—Update (PDF): Small Business Administration Clarifies Rule with ADA
- April 3, 2020—Update (PDF): Department of Labor Issues Regulations on Exemptions for Small Businesses Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- March 30, 2020—Update (PDF): Resources Concerning SBA Loans for Dentists and Their Practices
- March 27, 2020—Update (PDF): House Passes H.R. 748, CARES Act, 3rd COVID-19 Relief Bill Will Soon Be Law
- March 25, 2020—Update (PDF): Senate passes CARES Act, 3rd COVID-19 relief bill
- March 23, 2020—Update (PDF) on Legislative Issues
- March 20, 2020—Update (PDF): Legislative Issue Alert
- March 19, 2020—Update (PDF): ADA Lobbies Congress On Third Coronavirus Bill
- March 19, 2020—Update (PDF): Congress Passes Second Coronavirus Legislation Package, Now Working On Third
- March 18, 2020—Update (PDF) on H.R. 6201 – Senate Action
Related stories from the dental profession's most widely read news source, ADA News.
- ADA urges CDC to update guidance for dental personnel (05/06/2020)
- Organized dentistry asks Congress for flexibility in Paycheck Protection Program loans (05/06/2020)
- CMS updates COVID-19 FAQ (05/06/2020)
- ADA asks Congress to help dental community in next COVID-19 legislation (05/05/2020)
- Department of Labor releases Pandemic Unemployment Assistance FAQ (05/05/2020)
- Agencies submit final rule extending ERISA deadlines during pandemic (04/30/2020)
- Find COVID-19 dental regulations by state with ADA interactive map (04/30/2020)
- ADA asks FCC to include dentists in COVID-19 Telehealth Program (04/27/2020)
- ADA, others ask lawmakers to include nonprofits in COVID-19 legislation (04/23/2020)
- Be ready to apply for SBA loan (04/23/2020)
- House of Representatives passes Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act (04/23/2020)
- Dental groups seek federal approval to administer COVID-19 tests (04/21/2020)
- Senate votes to expand small business aid (04/22/2020)
- Dental organizations urge HHS, CMS to release CARES Act relief funds (04/20/2020)
- Amalgam separator deadline remains intact (04/17/2020)
- ADA urges HHS to federally recognize licensed dentists to administer point of service COVID-19 tests (04/17/2020)
- SBA funding no longer available for Economic Injury Disaster Loans, Paycheck Protection Program (04/16/2020)
- SBA changes grant computation for Economic Injury Disaster Loans (04/15/2020)
- Homeland Security issues alert on cybercriminals increasingly exploiting COVID-19 pandemic (04/14/2020)
- ADA asks Congress to ensure appropriate PPE for all health care workers (04/14/2020)
- ADA asks Congress to increase funding, extend dates for Small Business Administration loans (04/13/2020)
- ADA thanks Rep. Huizenga for HEROES Act (04/13/2020)
- Webinar on Small Business Administration loans available online (04/10/2020)
- OCR warns of imposter posing as investigator (04/07/2020)
- SBA: Dentists can apply for both economic injury disaster and paycheck protection program loans (04/06/2020)
- ADA asks Treasury Department, Small Business Administration to clarify intent of interim rule (04/05/2020)
- Office of Federal Student Aid has an FAQ for student loan questions (04/02/2020)
- ADA will share Paycheck Protection Program information as soon as it becomes available (04/02/2020)
- IRS publishes Employee Retention Credit FAQ (04/01/2020)
- ADA joins other health care organizations in appeal for more PPE, other supplies (03/27/2020)
- CARES Act becomes law (03/27/2020)
- Senate passes CARES Act (03/25/2020)
- Labor Dept. releases new guidance in response to Families First Coronavirus Response Act (03/26/2020)
- Lawmakers reach agreement on CARES Act (03/25/2020)
- HRSA updates FAQs for health centers during COVID-19 (03/24/2020)
- ADA urges CDC to provide immediate guidance on protecting dental patients, staff from COVID-19 during emergency treatments (03/24/2020)
- DEA Call Center suspends phone operations (03/23/2020)
- ADA president thanks dentists for grassroots efforts in response to CARES Act (03/23/2020)
- ADA initiates grassroots campaign in response to CARES Act (03/22/2020)
- ADA, other organizations outline economic response needs to survive pandemic (03/20/2020)
- ADA lobbies Congress on CARES Act (03/20/2020)
- ADA, other dental organizations ask Labor Department to help small businesses (03/19/2020)
- ADA urges Congress to increase relief for small businesses, dentist owners (03/19/2020)
- Senate passes coronavirus legislative package (03/19/2020)
- Treasury, IRS delay federal tax filing, payments until July 15 (03/19/2020)
- ADA lobbies Congress' coronavirus legislative package (03/17/2020)
- OSHA issues coronavirus guidance (03/13/20)
- ADA to Congress: Include dentists, patients in coronavirus legislation (03/13/2020)
If you’re a member of the media seeking information about COVID-19 and dentistry, or if you would like to interview an ADA spokesperson, please contact the ADA Media Relations team.
Government and Public Affairs
State Government Affairs
American Dental Political Action Committee (ADPAC)
Center for Professional Success (CPS)
Questions about government rules and regulations? Explore the ADA Center for Professional Success. (Members Only)
Have questions? We’re here to help! Click the ‘Live Chat’ box on the right side of the screen between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. (Central) Monday-Friday.
Prepared by: Government and Public Affairs
Last Updated: May 7, 2020
best live chat