Skip to main content
Toggle Menu of ADA WebSites
ADA Websites
Toggle Search Area
Toggle Menu
e-mail Print Share

Licensure Information for Dental Students

Licensure is a multifaceted system and can take time to fully understand. The ADA has a map available that provides initial licensure requirements for each state. Select a state on the map and find much needed licensure information.

Looking for information about clinical testing agencies?
Find links to the four clinical testing agency websites

This overview is a great start and we strongly recommend you review the licensure laws and regulations from the individual state board websites for real-time information about which examinations are accepted in the state(s) where licensure is sought. Dental hygiene licensure requirements also differ; consult the state regulations for specific dental hygiene information.

The information provided here is subject to change. It is essential to read the licensure requirements as published by the state board of dentistry, prior to taking an examination or applying.

    Clinical Testing Agencies

    The four clinical testing agencies are listed below. Visit each testing agency website for more information about their clinical examinations. Please note: Delaware and New York do not use the services of a clinical testing agency. See below to find out how to pursue licensure in those areas.

    Council of Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA)

    Central Regional Dental Testing Services, Inc. (CRDTS)

    The Commission for Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA) and the Western Regional Examining Board (WREB) merged into CDCA-WREB effective August 4, 2021. CDCA-WREB intends to administer both the ADEX exam and the current WREB exam through 2022, and will administer only the ADEX exam at all locations for the Class of 2023.

    Southern Regional Testing Agency, Inc. (SRTA)

    Two states do not use the services of a clinical testing agency:

    • Delaware conducts its own practical clinical examination and requires other post graduate education or practice experience as defined by the Delaware licensure board.
    • New York requires a doctoral degree in dentistry, plus completion of a clinically-based postdoctoral general practice or specialty dental residency program, of at least one year's duration, in a hospital or dental facility.