Sometime during your professional career you may need to hire an attorney.
Your search should start with the question: “Why do I need an attorney?” Some attorneys practice more as generalists, while others practice in specialized fields of law. Deciding what kind of lawyer you need is not the end of your selection process, but the beginning.
Download Supporting Materials (Free for ADA members)
A Dentist's Guide to Selecting a Lawyer
What are some other steps in selecting appropriate counsel? Consider these:
- What are the best sources for referral?
- Can you interview an attorney before engaging their services?
- How do attorneys structure their fees?
- What information and documents you should be prepared to supply to the attorney?
- What are your attorney’s expectations for the relationship?
- What to do if problems arise?